Virtual Geology Learning Toolbox
This document contains information about the virtual geology learning toolbox that is available for public use for education.
Tiled GigaPixel Images. Go to the web page below and make some investigations on it by using your mouse. You can use the mouse wheel to zoom in and out. Please try to see what kind of information you can have and how much detail you can get from it. You can use your smartphones as well.
Rheomorphic deformation and sheath folds (Owyhee County, Idaho, USA).
Roadcuts of exposed minerals or rocks:
Kingsland Glauconite Roadcuts (Hoover Point, Kingsland, Texas, USA)
3D Rock & Fossil Models. Go to the Sketchfab web pages to investigate 3D models of some rock specimens we had collected during the Summer Geology Field Camp. You may need to wait a few seconds to have all details completely loaded. Left-mouse button rotates it, the right-mouse button will displace it, and the mouse wheel will allow you to zoom in and out. You can use your smartphones as well.
Please note that specimens created by myself do not have information available on Sketchfab because they are intended to be used for identification purposes. Please refer to the information provided below for the information for each specimen.
Individual specimens (3D)
- Fossiliferous limestone. Embedded are lots of invertebrate fossils which are primarily crinoids.
- Sandstone (Quartz sandstone). Quartz sandstone contains more than 90% quartz which indicates it might have experienced extreme weathering.
- Sedimentary rock collection (Sketchfab)
Individual specimens (2D)
- GigaMacro 2D sedimentary rocks (Opengeology)
- GigaPan 2D sedimentary structures (Opengeology)
- GigaPan 2D sediment (Opengeology)
- Rhyolite (ignimbrite) from the Prosser Rock. Rhyolite, Saguache County, CO, USA. This model can also be seen in 3D map platform:
- Rheomorphic deformation and sheath folds on the cliff of Little Jacks Creek, Owyhee County, Idaho, USA. A 2D Gigamacro version is posted here: https://bit.ly/rheomorphism (additional information: http://bit.ly/rheomorphic)
- Pegmatite from Opportunity Mine, CO, USA (you need to be careful that micas are not depicted being reflective in this model)
- Igneous rock collection (Sketchfab)
Fossiliferous limestone or crinoidal limestone.
Petrified wood from Table Top. Petrified wood on Table Top - A petrified wood on Table Top, Saguache County, CO, USA (#fossil, #colorado, #petrifiedwood, #saguachecounty)
Petrified wood in front of Hilbun Hall, Mississippi State University
Rugosa. Devonian Rugose coral
2D fossil pictures
Foram from Bell's Beach near Victoria, Australia, 2870x, Foram from Playa Rocosa De Piñones, Puerto Rico, at 3265x, Foram from Punta Uva, Puerto Viejo, Limon, Costa Rica, 4295x, Bermuda "Pink Sand" Foram, 2580x, Foram from Hapuna Beach, Big Island, Hawaii, 2920x
- Mineral collections
Crystals and crystallography
- Crystals of minerals(Museum of Mineralogy and Petrography, UAIC)
- Crystallography (Museum of Mineralogy and Petrography, UAIC)
2D Thin Sections:
Serpentinite thin section, surface photography
Virtual Helicopter Tour
3D Map Streaming Platform with Tiling CapabilityFollow the links below to open a 3D map application with terrain models for Table Top, Prosser Rock, and P2 in Saguache County, Colorado. The shaded area in a lighter color is the 3D terrain model. We have created 3D terrain models for Table Top, Prosser Rock, and P2. Please either click on each of the links below or you can move from one terrain model to another because they are in the same map environment and are close to each other. The left-mouse button will let you move the map, the right-mouse button will let you rotate it, while the wheel will let you zoom in and out.
NAGT’s Designing Remote Field Experiences, https://nagt.org/nagt/teaching_resources/field/designing_remote_field_experie.html